Great Northern Idaho Chowder
- 1 cup of dry 1000 Springs Mill Organic Great Northern Beans
- 4 cups of water
- 1 ham bone, if desired
- ½ cup minced onion
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup diced potatoes
- 1 cup of diced carrots
- 1 cup of diced celery and leaves
- 1 can of tomatoes (2 ¼ cups)
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 cups of hot milk
- Soak beans overnight in 4 cups of water. Do not drain off soaking water.
- Add salt, onion, and vegetables and pork bone (if using) to the same pot and simmer for ½ hour.
- In a pan, create a roux by mixing butter and flour into a smooth paste, then stir into beans.
- Simmer the mixture until thickened, then add hot milk (see note¹).
- After adding the milk, add in ham pieces and stir – or top each serving with strips of ham.
- Serve with bread sticks or crisp crackers if desired.